What lessons may Rotterdam and Cape Town teach one another?
Services: Research, Engagement, Communication.
The online publication space was established with the intention of bridging the urbanism of Rotterdam and Cape Town. The series intended to scan, investigate, and explore the futures of both cities simultaneously and separately.
Initially founded on a single co-publishing partner, the series now makes use of the contacts and networks acquired by Rashiq Fataar during the International Visitors Programme on Urbanism in the Netherlands in 2014.
The content published and shared included:
- It’s high time Cape Town understood why cycling as transport, matters by Brett Petzer
- The book "Cape Town - Densification as a Cure for a Segregated City" by INTI
- Open Call: International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam calls for projects from Africa by Edgar Pieterse and Mark Swilling
- The changing role of the designer: An architect in Rotterdam and Cape Town by Nadine Botha
- Urban fabric and the social tension and perceptions in Rotterdam and Cape Town by Alison Lloyd
- 10 Questions for Rotterdam : from CAPE TOWN / A CAPETONIAN by Janine Loubser
- Cities save the world - let’s reinvent planning! by Janine Loubser
- Rotterdam roofscapes: From history to a sustainable future. by Ibtesam Davids
- Why Secondary Cities Matter by Brett Petzer
- African cities on the agenda in Rotterdam by Jason Hilgefort
- Interview - TALKS about architecture: Why Rotterdam needs this by Rashiq Fataar
- Interview - Henk Ovink on Cape Town and why water matters on a global scale by Brett Petzer
- Interview - Ramon Knoester Activist architecture: How new habitats are born from plastic pollution by Carolina Giraldo Nohra
- Interview - Giving wind to the Dutch wind-wheel : energy future by Brett Petzer
- Interview - Jan Jongert - Inside flows: Reinventing the performance of space 1 by Carolina Giraldo Nohra
- Exhibits: A floating Olympic Games: Dutch Delta Games 2028
- Exhibits: Visualising Rotterdam's urban metabolism
Team: Rashiq Fataar, Brett Petzer
Funder: The #cocreateSA fund
Contributors: Nadine Botha, Ibtesam Davids, Janine Loubser, Alison Lloyd, Carolina Giraldo Nohra, Kelsey Blignaut
Partners and collaborators: Jason Hilgefort of Land+Civilization Compositions, Edgar Pieterse, Mark Swilling and the IABR 2016 director, George Brugmans, Henk Ovink, Robert-Jan de Kort and Sander van Schaik of De Kort Van Schaik, Michelle Provoost of INTI, De Urbanisten and Doepel Strijkers Architects, Helen Bilson of OMA, This Big City, Het Nieuwe Instituut and Joyce Hanssen, Boudewijn Jansen, of the international multi-disciplinary consultancy Rebel